CURRENTLY READING: Jules Verne Collection
UP NEXT: Brief History of Time
CURRENTLY WATCHING: Doctor Who
UP NEXT: Comunity, Myth-Busters, Psych,Bones
"Not sure if I am an evil genius, or just someone who watches too much TV"
I am a Texas college student (studying Management of Information Systems), and I am a Tech enthusiast, computer geek and sci-fi fan.
I queue most posts but will do a post dump about once every few weeks.
I am not talking about the scrambled timeline here I am talking about relationship dynamic.
The Doctor’s relationship (whether platonic or romantic) with his companions is pretty straight forward. He takes them where they never thought they could go, he impresses them with his brilliance and insanity, and in return they offer his broken soul some comfort of a friend.
But with River it is very different. to start she isn’t impressed by almost anything he does, she doesn’t think his brilliance is that amazing, he is just above average to her. she doesn’t need him to take her where she wants or to see the universe, she can do that on her own with her vortex manipulator. so all his tools are useless on her.
but not only that, she often shows him up. she figures things out at almost the same time he does. she whisks him off on crazy adventures with a note of “hello sweetie”. so she is his Doctor, not his companion.
but I think he loves that. at first it distresses him, they have a bit of a power struggle as she shows him up and he keeps denying the possibility of her knowing what he knows.
but I feel that in the end an equal is something he has craved. ever since the time war he hasn’t really had an equal (or at least one who wasn’t trying to kill him). so ten was always excited when he found someone anywhere near as clever he was. and I think the doctor has enjoyed not always being the brightest in the room, he loved his travels with Romana just for that reason.
so River offers him something he has never seen in a human, an equal. and I think he loves that. but it is more that she is his equal, she doesn’t see a real logical need for him, she can fight her battles quite well on her own but she chooses to bring him in to be with him. and the only real need that she has for him is an emotional need because just like him she is a broken soul so when the two of them are together they can help tend the others emotional wounds and make each other feel whole.
and if you ask me that is love, she doesn’t really need him by her side to help her fight, and he doesn’t really need her to help him adventure, but when these two broken people are together they feel a bit more whole. and I don’t think that many of the doctor’s other love interests really have that.
(don’t get me wrong, Rose and 10 made a cute couple but they just wouldn’t work out because she is too human)
OK I have talked about this before but this is my final bit about this that I will reference from now on.
I believe that River (and a few passengers) could visit the Ponds by landing outside of the range of the Ponds temporal disturbance (which is why the TARDIS and maybe the Vortex Manipulator, have issue landing) and then taking local transport to visit the Ponds. Now this is for visiting only, if River picks up the Ponds to take them somewhere it could cause a paradox. River loves her family (Amy and Rory are the only people (that we know of) that she loves more than the Doctor) so NOTHING would stop her from seeing them.
My thoughts on Doctor/TARDIS and the TARDIS’s interactions with the universe.
This will be the Primary Doctor Who canon, all Fics made using it will be tagged “will’s whoniverse”. and here are some key differences between it and the canon:
almost everyone thinks that River just lives as a house wife in the library computer, now I am not 100% convenced that she is actually in there or that she will stay there forever. but if she is there for an etended period of time here is what I think happens.
Now this is just an intro I will do a series of posts with different concepts or aspects of life in the library. discussing things from what she does for fun, how she is with the kids, and even the Doctor visiting. but today I am just going to talk about the basic principles and technology.
First off she isn’t limited to the world that we saw. lux said that CAL had all of history and fiction to experience so River does too. so she could visit all known worlds and all fictitious universes.
second I doubt that she is limited to the preprogramed worlds she could probably ”imagine” things and worlds into existence she could make a TARDIS of her own that would let her travel to these times and places and she could probably even imagine her own worlds where she wouldn’t even be bound by the laws of physics (we will get to this in a later post)
also I doubt the doctor would leave her there on her own if he can’t get her out or while he is getting the kinks worked out for extraction he could visit. or even bring other people (like the ponds). but that is another post as well.
here is the list of posts I plan to have with more details.
I have talked before about the Doctor extracting River from the library so I decided to consolidate these ideas to one place with all the advantages and disadvantages. each one of these is a different methods (borrowed from different species) that exist in the whoniverse
This would be the use of the clone tech that the Sontarans used in Sontaran stratagem.
- he has negotiated with sontarans before and he can probobly find some honor debt that he can use to negotiate with
- they Smell, in poison sky he claimed he could smell that Martha was replaced and he sounded like it was a very promonait smell
- sleeper agent, the Sontarans could find a way to mess with the signal (like how they controlled the Martha clone), and use New!River as a sleeper agent against the Doctor
This would be the use of a nestiene duplicate (like how Rory was in TPO/TBB).
- won’t age, where as organic things tend to age a nestiene wouldn’t
- swapable parts, that might make the bedroom a bit more exciting
- kind of fragile, like how Radio signal could be bad and such, but the doctor might be able to “repair” her
- sleeper agent: same as the sontaran clones
a lot of people are speculating that this will be River’s last series. I think that is complete bull. for a couple of reasons.
In conclusion I expect River to be around till at least series 8 and maybe till Moffat steps down as show-runner or god forbid something terrible happening to Alex.
This is my best attempt at gathering together a list of streaming links (mostly from youtube) to additional Doctor Who material, not included in regular broadcasted episodes. It focuses on the new (aka 2005 revived) series, and contains only canon(-ish) material. In other words, things like outtakes, interviews, behind the scenes shenanigans, and hilariousity David Tennant created with the aid of divine inspiration and perhaps an alcoholic drink or two (helllooo and hello) aren’t included. Please feel free to add on anything I may have missed.
- Doctor Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death (1999 Comic Relief Special written by Steven Moffat; Stars Rowan Atkinson, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant and more as the Doctor)
- 2005 Children in Need Special (the immediate aftermath of Nine’s regeneration into Ten)
- Attack of the Graske (2005 “interactive episode”, starring Ten)
- Time Crash (2007 Children in Need Special; The Fifth Doctor meets the Tenth)
- 2007 Comic Relief (Lauren Cooper’s new teacher looks a bit familiar)
- 2007 Extras Christmas Special (short scene with Ricky Gervais playing an extra on the show, opposite Ten)
- A Ghost Story for Christmas (companion to Blink, narrated by John Barrowman)
- Music of the Spheres (2008 segment of the BBC Proms, starring Ten)
- 2009 Tonight’s the Night Special (utter ridiculousness with John Barrowman and David Tennant)
- The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith (The Sarah Jane Adventures 2-part episode, featuring the Tenth Doctor; note: He doesn’t appear until the very end of part 1)
- Meanwhile, in the TARDIS - part 1, part 2 (series 5 dvd features, starring Eleven and Amy)
- Death of the Doctor (The Sarah Jane Adventures 2-part episode, featuring the Eleventh Doctor; note: He doesn’t appear until the very end of part 1)
- 2011 Red Nose Day Special - part 1, part 2 (stars Eleven, Amy and Rory; Timey-wimeyness, slapping and self-flirtation happen)
- 2011 Children in Need Special (Eleven is naked now. Nakedness is cool.)
- Nights with the Doctor (series 6 dvd features, starring Eleven, River and Amy, plus one with Craig, Sophie and Stormageddon)
- Deleted Scenes -
- Army of Ghosts
- Series 3 (part 1, part 2, part 3, Human Nature - basically a Tennant improv)
- Series 4 (Voyage of the Damned, The Fires of Pompeii, Planet of the Ood, The Doctor’s Daughter, Journey’s End)
- 2009 Specials (The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The End of Time)
- Series 5 (The Hungry Earth, The Big Bang)
I have often categorized the companions. and I think it’s time for me to formalize these definitions.
I have talked about this before but I wanted to consolidate it to one post.
Idea one: Stories from C.A.L
Basically it would be a series of stories that River tells her “Children” inside the library computer.
Idea two: Diary Clippings
basically at some point late in their travels River’s Diary starts falling apart and the Doctor gets to see some of the events from her point of view, and that he wasn’t around for.
Idea three: Night and the Doctor
Basically Doctor Who after Dark, mostly her travels with the Doctor when he picks her up at night.
Now remember that so far canonically Moffat is the only one who has written for River.
PS: If you want to write Fan Fics for any of these just follow my requests in my Policies page.
the new set pics(and name) could harm my theories. so this is the update
River/Doctor’s daughter - time could be an issue, she is wearing modern earth clothing so unless she changed from the wardrobe so that she doesn’t stand out(or if she hangs out with her grandparents often) she can’t be from the 51st century (If I remember correctly that is when River is from (well when she is in stormcage))
Romana - out of the question - she wouldn’t change her name
Jenny- same as Romana, and she would also be from the future so same clothing issue as River/Doctor’s daughter
Rose/Tentoo’s daughter - so far looking the best, she would have been raised on earth in the near future so the clothing fits (as we saw nothing pointing to drastically different fashion in the AU)
This is my master post on who I think Jenna’s character may be.
My Main theory is that she is River and the Doctor’s daughter. And here are my reasons
other theories include:
I think I like it when the companions stand up to the doctor and when they out smart him. and the more they do it the more I love that companion.
I mean I Just love the doctor having equals, that’s why I love River (also the Innuendos and BAMFery), that’s why I love Romana, and if the rumors are right about Jenna’s character (about her being as fast talking and clever as the Doctor(Timelord?)) I expect I will love her too.